Firm Logo

For a free consultation call

(919) 277-0150

We Put Our Dedicated Team

to work for you

On The Front Lines Of The Legal Battle

What type of compensation can I claim for slip-and-fall injuries?

On Behalf of O’Malley Tunstall PLLC | Dec 21, 2016 | Personal Injury

Wintertime is often hazardous for many Raleigh seniors. The wet weather conditions and cold temperatures can make it challenging for older people to get around safely. The risk of slipping, falling and sustaining personal injuries is great. Also, many older people age differently. Some can avoid slip-and-fall situations; others cannot. Seniors who suffer from mobility issues, health concerns, diminished vision and balance problems are more likely to slip, fall and injure themselves. Although elderly people have a higher risk of accidents, anyone who has experienced a slip-and-fall accident may be interested in knowing the types of compensation she or he can receive for such injuries.

Wintertime is often hazardous for Raleigh residents. The wet weather conditions and cold temperatures can make it challenging for people to get around safely. The risk of slipping and falling increases with wet or icy conditions.

If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a slip-and-fall accident, it’s important to understand what type of compensation you are entitled to. Slip-and-falls can cause serious injuries such as broken bones, injured joints, back injuries and head injuries. You will need adequate compensation to cover your losses.

Compensation for pain and suffering

The amount of compensation a victim should receive for pain and suffering varies because there is no specific set of guidelines used to establish specific compensation amounts for pain and suffering. However, that does not mean an injured person can request any amount they choose. For example, if you slip-and-fall on someone’s property and break your hip and can no longer walk, stand or work, you cannot choose the amount of compensation you think is fair. Pain and suffering compensation is based on several factors, including the amount of current and future medical bills and the severity and permanency of the injuries.

Compensation for medical care

You can include any slip-and-fall related medical bills you receive in your claim. For example, if you had surgery a few months ago on your hip for your injuries and will need more operations and physical therapy sessions in the future, you have ongoing and future medical expenses. Any compensation you receive for accident-related medical care includes past, present and future medical treatments.

Lost wages and earning capacity

Compensation may include income from lost wages and lost earning capacity. If your injuries are only severe enough to keep you from returning to work for a short time, you can claim compensation for any wages you would have earned during that time frame. However, if you suffer major injuries that ultimately result in you not being able to perform your job to the capacity that you could before your accident, you have lost earning capacity and may claim it as part of your compensation.

It is important to remember that there are other factors that can affect the type and amount of compensation you can claim. If you or someone you know is dealing with the aftermath of a slip-and-fall situation, you should speak with a personal injury attorney to learn more about your options.