What to do after an Injury in a Car Crash in Eastern NC
On Behalf of O’Malley Tunstall PLLC | Nov 18, 2013 | Car Accidents, Legally Speaking, Personal Injury
Car Crash? Injured? Just not sure what to do next? Often our clients are just not sure what to do immediately after a car crash. Injuries and emotions can get in the way of making good decisions. Therefore, we have created a short check list for you.
- Stay in your car, turn on the hazard light and keep seatbelts fastened until help arrives.
- Dial 911.
- Keep an emergency kit in your car. The kit should include a first aid kit, road flares, a disposable camera, a sheet with your blood type and an emergency contact list for you.
- Exchange insurance company information.
- Do not admit fault until you have spoken with an attorney.
- Take photographs of the damage to all the vehicles and the scene if it is safe to do so.
- Seek medical attention promptly.
- Report the accident to your insurance company.
- Remove your belongings from the car.
- Make a list of the activities you can no longer do.
- Call O’Malley Tunstall PLLC for a free consultation.
If you have an injury getting treatment either at an emergency room or urgent care as soon as practicable after the collision is advisable to rule out serious and life threatening conditions. Often the emergency room or urgent care will make recommendations for followup care with either your family physician or a specialist. If followup care is recommended getting that treatment timely will make proving the treatment was necessary as a result of the car crash much easier. Any delay in followup care can result in arguments from the defendant’s insurance company that the treatment was unnecessary. If you have been in a car crash in North Carolina and have legal questions; call our experienced team of personal injury attorneys. It is always free to contact our office and obtain advice.