Common causes of slip-and-fall accidents and injuries
On Behalf of O’Malley Tunstall PLLC | Dec 5, 2019 | Premises Liability
This is one of the busiest times of year for Raleigh businesses. Not only are people taking care of routine needs such as grocery shopping and visits to hardware stores and restaurants, but holiday shoppers are also out and about looking for special gifts for those special someones.
It is important for owners of shops, eateries and retail outlets to keep their properties safe for the public to use. That means regular maintenance and repairs, as well as warning visitors of hazards such as wet or uneven floors. Failing to do so can mean that slip and fall accidents will take place and that serious injuries will result.
Let’s take a quick look at some of the most common causes of slips, trips and falls:
- Poor lighting: businesses should have adequate lighting for visitors to safely enter, walk about and exit the property. The same is true for apartment buildings, workplaces and other private property.
- Irregular walking surfaces: these can include uneven sidewalks and parking lots, unmarked curbs and loose floorboards that cause trips, falls and injuries.
- No handrails: a lack of required handrails can mean stumbles down stairs or ramps.
- Spills: these can be especially hazardous in stores where liquids spill on floors. It’s important for property owners to keep floors safe and dry, or to post warning signs so that visitors can avoid slippery floors.
- Trip hazards: in stores, these hazards can include debris and mats that cause visitors to trip and fall.