Focused On Serving Your Needs
Att Banner

"UPDATE: To protect your safety during the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, we offer video conferencing, as well as telephone conferences, in place of face-to-face meetings. Please contact our office today to set up a remote consultation."

Truck and bus inspection spree begins June

Drivers of commercial trucks and buses, whether they’re in North Carolina or elsewhere in the nation, will want to ensure that they comply with vehicle and driver safety regulations. The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance has scheduled its annual International Roadcheck for June 5 to June 7. The 72-hour inspection spree will take place across America, and drivers who are found violating regulations will be issued out-of-service orders.

During last year’s roadcheck, the CVSA inspected approximately 63,000 vehicles, which comes to an average of about 15 vehicles every minute. About 15,000 out-of-service orders were issued with 80 percent of them due to vehicle-related violations and the remaining 20 percent to driver-related ones. The CVSA found that hours-of-service violations and brake violations were the top reasons for the orders.

With the electronic logging device mandate instituted in December 2017 and the period of hard enforcement beginning in April, hours-of-service violations are now in the spotlight. Most truckers know that ELDs allow for accurate logging of duty hours and prevent the falsification of those hours.

With inspectors conducting full Level I inspections on most big rigs this year, hours-of-service violations will be a special area of focus. These inspections cover both vehicle- and driver-related non-compliance.

Hours-of-service regulations are in place to ensure that drivers do not overwork themselves and endanger others through fatigue. A fatigued trucker is an inattentive trucker and can be accused of negligence if he or she causes an accident. Victims of such accidents may speak with a lawyer about filing a claim, which, if successful, might cover losses like vehicle damage and medical expenses. If the victim died, the family may file a wrongful death suit. In either case, the lawyer may work to gather proof of negligence with the help of investigators and negotiate on the client’s behalf, litigating if necessary.


FindLaw Network