Focused On Serving Your Needs
Att Banner

"UPDATE: To protect your safety during the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, we offer video conferencing, as well as telephone conferences, in place of face-to-face meetings. Please contact our office today to set up a remote consultation."

What to do after a drunk driver hits you

It is a sad reality that many innocent people suffer injuries or lose their lives every year from drunk drivers. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that over 4,000 people in North Carolina died between 2003 and 2012 as a result of people driving while under the influence.

In the event that a drunk driver ever hits you while on the road, hopefully you will not suffer serious injuries. You will understandably feel a lot of emotions, but it is important to go through some motions to ensure your rights remain protected and that the drunk driver sees his or her just desserts. 

Contact 911

First, you want to call 911 to get an ambulance to the scene to take you and any passengers to a hospital. You may feel fine, but you want a doctor to examine you so you can be 100 percent certain. Additionally, you want to get the police out to the scene. The cops should arrest the drunk driver, and they can create a report of the incident. This report is a useful piece of evidence for when this event goes to court. 

Collect information

You may realize immediately the other driver has had alcohol this evening. That means it could be difficult to get the person to cooperate and get information. At the very least, you should write down the driver’s name, phone number and insurance information. It is also a good idea to take pictures or video of the scene. Getting a recording of the drunk driver’s statement could help prove the person was, in fact, under the influence. 

Get an attorney on your side

One mistake many people in this situation make is not acquiring legal assistance. There is a difference between a criminal trial and a civil one. For driving while intoxicated, the driver will undergo a criminal trial. However, if you want to attain some form of compensation for injuries and suffering, then you need to instigate a civil trial independently. 


FindLaw Network