North Carolina parents may not understand why stoves are so tempting for small children. However, they may understand just how dangerous they can be. Stove manufacturers may be liable for any injuries that a child may experience if it is not constructed in accordance with the law. A Missouri 5-year-old was awarded $35 million after he was injured by a pot containing hot water that slid off of a stove and burned him.
The pot fell because the stove tipped over as the boy climbed on an open stove door. The door should have had an anti-tip bracket, and it may have prevented the accident from occurring. Between 2000 and 2006, there were 13 people who were reported dead because of unstable stoves and ranges. Most of those accidents occurred because of added weight to the stove door.
Most of the fatalities involved children who were under the age of 10. In an effort to mitigate the danger, doors on stoves made after 1991 must be able to support 250 pounds according to standards created by Underwriters Laboratories and the American National Standards Institute. To prevent injuries in a kitchen, it is recommended that parents or caregivers create a child-free zone around stoves. Adults should wear tight or rolled sleeves and use oven mitts or pot holders that are dry.
If a consumer death occurs because of a defective product, the manufacturer may be liable for damages. The company that made the part as well as retailers who sold the product with a defective part in it may also be liable for damages. The family of the decedent may wish to file a wrongful death lawsuit with the help of an experienced attorney.