Focused On Serving Your Needs
Att Banner

"UPDATE: To protect your safety during the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, we offer video conferencing, as well as telephone conferences, in place of face-to-face meetings. Please contact our office today to set up a remote consultation."

What to do if you see a drunk driver

You probably associate the Fourth of July with grilling, swimming, going to fairs and watching the fireworks. Did you know that it is also the date with the highest number of fatal car accidents out of the entire year?

With so many celebrations happening and tourists on the road, many who likely consumed alcohol, this fact may not come as much of a surprise. But it should come with care. Keep yourself safe by knowing how to recognize, avoid and report drunk drivers this summer.

Signs of drunk driving

Before you can take action against an impaired driver, you first need to know how to spot a drunk person behind the wheel. These are common signs of driving while intoxicated:

  • Not staying in the lane lines
  • Weaving in and out of traffic
  • Going above or below the speed limit
  • Driving inconsistently
  • Making illegal maneuvers
  • Tailgating

Drunk drivers are also likely to be sleepy, hyper-stimulated or distracted. Watch for any behaviors that show impaired motor skills.

How to respond to drunk driving

The best safety measure is avoiding being on the road on the night of the Fourth of July. However, if you must drive and you see a drunk driver in your vicinity, take a different route if possible to reduce your chances of getting hit. Report the driver to authorities, being sure to pull over so you are not talking on your cellphone while driving. Include as much information as possible, such as the license plate number, the make and model of the vehicle, a description of the driver and the direction the vehicle is going.

When an accident happens

Unfortunately, you cannot completely eliminate the possibility of an intoxicated driver colliding with you. If you get into an accident, call the police and seek medical attention right away. Then talk to a personal injury lawyer about how to pursue financial compensation for your injuries and the resulting expenses.


FindLaw Network