Focused On Serving Your Needs
Att Banner

"UPDATE: To protect your safety during the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, we offer video conferencing, as well as telephone conferences, in place of face-to-face meetings. Please contact our office today to set up a remote consultation."

What are the different types of Social Security Disability?


The Social Security Act is a complicated law with many different parts. If you are thinking about filing for disability, you will probably be the most interested in two parts of the Act. The first is Social Security Disability Insurance which is abbreviated SSDI (or SSD). The second is Supplemental Security Income or SSI. Many of our clients file for both kinds of benefits at the same time. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is available to people who are disabled and have worked. It is funded by Social Security taxes. By working and paying Social Security taxes out of your paycheck, you earn “work credits” and become insured by Social Security. The amount of money you will get each month depends on how much you earned before you became disabled. To learn more about work credits go to: Two years from the begining of payment for SSDI you are elibible for Medicare just as if you had retired and were drawing your full benefit. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is available to people who are disabled and have limited income and assets. It can be a pretty complicated formula, but basically, if you don’t have a lot of money you are probably eligible. Unlike Social Security Disability Insurance, Supplemental Security Income is funded from the general treasury, not your payroll taxes, so it doesn’t matter how much you have worked. The amount of money you get each month changes every year, but for an individual in 2012 it is $698. To learn more about Supplemental Security Income eligibility go to: If you are receiving SSI you will also be eligible for Remember, for both Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) you have to meet the government’s definition of “disabled” and will need medical evidence from your doctors.

To learn more about Social Security visit our web page at O'Malley Tunstall


FindLaw Network