O'Malley Tunstall PLLC
Call 24-hours a day Free consultation No Fees Unless we Win
800-755-1987
Offices in Raleigh, North Carolina, and Eastern North Carolina

Coin Sized Button Battery Child Swallowing Danger: Parents Beware!

Button Batteries also known as coin cell batteries create a serious swallowing danger for children.  Unlike a coin, rock or small toy, if a button battery is swallowed by a small child it does not just pass through the body, instead it can cause serious and life threatening burns. Saliva immediately triggers an electrical current that causes a chemical reaction that can severely burn the esophagus in as little as two hours.  Once the burning reaction begins, it can continue even after the battery is removed. Coin battery in child's throat Coin battery in child's throat As batteries get smaller and are found inside remote controls, calculators, birthday cards and other small devices, these coin sized button batteries can be swallowed by children and stuck in the children's throats.  These devices sometimes are not designed correctly and the batteries can be too easily removed by children and then swallowed.  Severe burns, hemorrhaging and even death can result. Youtube: Joe Tunstall discusses the dangers of these batteries In 2010 alone, there were more than 3,400 swallowing cases reported in the U.S., according to Dr. Toby Litovitz, of the National Capital Poison Center. After ingestion of a button battery, the symptoms resemble those of the flu, including vomiting, fever, cough and lack of appetite. Data compiled from the National Poison Data System and the National Battery Ingestion Hotline, as well as a review of more than 8,600 swallowing cases and an analysis of recent medical literature, collectively explained how such accidents happen. In nearly 62 percent of cases, children under 6 are swallowing batteries they obtained directly from a consumer product. Nearly 30 percent find the batteries loose, while just over 8 percent get them from battery packaging. The danger of these coin sized batteries, both alkaline and lithium, is serious and the knowledge of the danger needs to be shared with the parents of all young children. The Battery Controlled is a campaign supported by Energizer, in partnership with Safe Kids Worldwide, to alert parents and other caregivers to the hidden danger of swallowing coin lithium button batteries. Visit their informational website at Battery Controlled or at safe kids button battery ingestion. If your child is injured due to ingestion of a coin sized button battery contact our office to discuss.  O'Malley Tunstall, PLLC or 800 - 755- 1987.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contextual Contextaul Contextaul
Contextaul Contextaul Contextaul
Contextaul Contextaul Contextaul
Contextaul Contextaul Contextaul
Contextaul Contextaul Contextaul
Contextaul Contextaul Contextaul
Contextaul Contextaul Contextaul

Free Initial Consultations. No Attorney Fees Unless We Win.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close

Privacy Policy

Lead Counsel Rated | LC
Call 24-hours a day We’ll Come To You No Attorney Fees Unless we Win
Review Us

Raleigh Office
8300 Falls of Neuse Road, Suite 108
Raleigh, NC 27615

Toll Free: 800-755-1987
Phone: 919-277-0150
Fax: 252-641-9009
Raleigh Law Office Map

Tarboro Office
405 North Main Street
Tarboro, NC 27886

Toll Free: 800-755-1987
Phone: 252-823-2266
Fax: 252-641-9009
Tarboro Law Office Map